Dare to Care: Munch’s Story

This is the tagline for our wonderful Children’s Hospital annual campaign for donations.  I cannot say enough about this amazing facility.  I feel so fortunate to have this facility in our own backyard.  Today I am going to talk about my first experience at Children’s Hospital.  My oldest Munch was born via scheduled C-section at 39 weeks.  Munch was in the breech position since twenty-eight weeks, and she did not move.  My ob/gyn was reluctant to try version since I had gestational diabetes and was considered high risk.

The morning after Munch was born, our pediatrician was in our room at an ungodly hour of 4:30 a.m.  I stared at her bleary-eyed as she told me that she heard a hip click.  She wanted us to have a hip ultrasound for Munch but we would wait to schedule that. 

At six weeks, we went to our clinic for a hip ultrasound.  It was there that Munch was diagnosed with a mild form of hip dysplasia.  Basically her ball and socket joint did not develop as it should due to her breech position.  Our pediatrician referred us to an orthopedic surgeon to discuss Munch’s treatment. 

With a lot of anxiety and trepidation, we met with the specialist.  He and his staff were so reassuring and friendly.  Munch was put in a little Pavlik harness for six weeks.  She had to wear this harness for twenty-three out of twenty-four hours a day.  This made diaper changing very interesting.   

Six weeks later, we returned back to the clinic to review her progress.  Munch had another hip ultrasound prior to our consultation with the doctor.  We received the fantastic news that her hips were normal.  She did not need to wear the harness anymore.  The moment we took the harness off of her, she stuck her legs out straight.  In fact she did not want to bend her legs very much that first day.  She was so excited to gain the full use of her legs again.

Two years later, we met with the specialist again.  I was pregnant with Skeeter, so my husband had to accompany Munch for a standing pelvic X-ray.  I was very apprehensive that a toddler would stand still long enough for an X-ray to be captured.  She did such an amazing job.  The staff told her that they were going to take a special picture.  She had to stand up on a stage (a platform) and look at the butterfly.  Ten minutes later Munch was done.  Dr. Tassone reviewed her films and informed us that she was developing normally and she no longer needed follow-up from his team. 

I am so grateful for the wonderful care that Dr. Tassone and the entire staff at the Orthopedic Clinic gave us.  We always felt like we were the only patients that they were seeing for the day.  Dr. Tassone has a wonderful bedside manner, and he cares about all of his patients.


About tranquilamama

Juggling parenthood, housework and working outside the home in the corporate world with my wonderful husband. Mom to 2 beautiful girls. PPD and PPA survivor. The title of my blog is after a phrase that was repeated to me in Spain during my semester abroad in college. It roughly translates to relax and calm down. Trying to tame my inner perfectionist and just be a good enough mom.
This entry was posted in parenting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s